If you are looking for the perfect way to end 2019, St Andrews guarantees a fabulous festive December, buzzing with Christmas markets, dazzling Christmas lights and seasonal shows! Here’s our round up of the best activities and events taking place next month if you are planning a visit to Rufflets.
It’s Panto Season
Not one, but three pantomime’s to choose between all taking place in Fife in December. At the Byre Theatre in St Andrews, Mother Goose will provide the ultimate egg-stravaganza. Join all your favourite fairy tale characters as Once Upon a Time meets Shrek in this Christmas adventure full of fun and laughter! Meanwhile, there will be a giant, a mischievous cow and adventure galore at the Adam Smith Theatre in Kirkcaldy in a moo-vellous family pantomime which promises to be full of beans! Jack & The Beanstalk takes place from Saturday 7th December to Saturday 4th January. At the Alhambra Theatre in Dunfermline, will good defeat evil? Take a trip to see Aladdin between 10th and 28th December.
Christmas events for the whole family
- On Sunday, 1st December at the Hill of Tarvit Mansion, you can enjoy a browse around a great variety of Christmas stalls in the mansion house, featuring wonderfully creative presents from local producers between 11:00am and 16:00pm. For children, there are Christmas stories at 11.30am, 12.30pm, 1.30pm, 2.30pm and 3.30pm.
- Santa will be visiting Craigtoun Country Park on Sunday 1st, 8th & 15th December. Children can visit him in his grotto between 12pm and 4pm and receive a gift.
- Enjoy a festive evening or two with all things Christmas and local at the Balgove Larder Christmas night market on 3rd and 4th December. Shoppers will be able to stock up on seasonal essentials as well as gifts for under the tree with a backdrop of carols, live music, seasonal good food and warming mulled wine.
- St Andrews Farmers Market takes place on Saturday, 7th December and provides an opportunity to experience locally produced food and drink, chat to the makers and enjoy attractions like cookery demonstrations, local crafts and family entertainment. Taking place on Market Street in the centre of the St Andrews between 9 am and 2pm.
- Bowhouse’s Market just outside St Monans is the venue for the Festive Art, Design & Contemporary Craft Market on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th December between 10:00am and 4:00pm. A great place to pick up gifts for under the tree!
Want to see behind the scenes at the St Andrews Brewing Company?
A brewery tour might just be the place to start. Find out what lies at the heart of the company’s beers and then learn how they do it from end to end. The tours begin and end in their on-site tap room and include a welcome drink and 3 x 1/3 pints after the tour. For more information or to book tickets just click here.
Get dressed up and join the Loch Leven Santa Run
If you haven’t seen the Loch Leven Santa run or never taken part, it’s not too late to sign up for the 7.5km, 5km or 2.5km events on Sunday 15th December. The location has moved this year to Lochore Meadows country park to accommodate more runners dressed as Santa. All entrants receive a Santa suit upon registration as well as a Santa medal and some well-deserved festive treats after your run. The event is open to all ages and abilities, making it an excellent family event. The course is suitable for wheelchair users and even buggies. Register here.